Monday, August 11, 2014

Uripiv Week 13 & 14 August 7, 2014

Dia ol Famle blo mi mo ol frien blo mi we mi lavem tumas,

Wow, these 2 weeks went by fast!  So where we left off.....  we went back to Uripiv and nothing really happened Tuesday 29th and Wednesday July 30th because all the activities were still going on. Wednesday the 30th they made cake and they shared it with everyone.  That night we didn't sleep
well because the events happened not too far from our house and they played music and danced throughout the whole night. But it's alright.  Thursday the 1st we went out to teach but EVERYONE was sleeping because they were tired because of the night before. 

Friday the 2nd we were able to teach a family about the plan of salvation and we really know that this family has felt the spirit since we've taught them.  I am so grateful to be here helping families and
creating relationships with these people.

Saturday the 3rd a ship came so many people were gone so we had no lessons taught that day.

Sunday the 4th someone died in another area on the mainland so many people weren't on the island and went to the mainland.  After church we went and read 3rd Nephi Chapter 11 with a family when Jesus comes and tells nephi to preach repentance and shows him how to baptize. And they were very happy to learn about Jesus who visited the Nephites.

Monday the 5th we stayed in our area, did our laundry, and bought 2lbs of chicken wings and some members gathered some bananas and we walked to the other side of the island to roast the bananas and chicken.  We had a good time and we just talked, and relaxed by the beach and had a
great time. (You're Jealous Huh!)

Tuesday we went out to teach but many people were gone so instead we went and talked with a few member families.  During the afternoon we went to Lakatoro to go on an exchange with the Zone Leaders.  They called us short of notice to ask us if we could exchange.  So we went to Lakatoro and Elder Takaro went with Elda Jensen to the Area of "Wala" and me and Elder Tupou (from Tonga) came to Uripiv with me. Elder Tupou is a big man and very cool.  By the Time we got back to Uripiv it was already dark and so we went to our house and fried up "Bigmouth" fish that Elda Tupou bought.

Then Wednesday Morning I had "Kraft Mac 'N' Cheese" that Elder Jensen gave to me.  It was Soooo Goooood!  Then we went and talked with a few members, shared a few messages to strengthen their faith and then taught the family I told you about earlier about Eternal Marriage. Here there are some customs (traditions) you have to follow to be married. For example if I want to get married, I have to ask permission from the father of the girl I want to be married to.  If he says yes, it's alright, but if he says I have to pay him for her, I have to do it.  So sometimes people can't get married when they want to, but that's how their customs are.  This couple is married yet but must get permission first. So we taught this family and strengthened their faith to pray to heavenly father to prepare a way for them to be able to get married soon and they were so happy for us to come and I hope soon we will be able to have them get married and we can baptize them.  Then the day drew to an end and we went and ate chicken wings at our house and  "Idahoans" mashed potatoes that Elder Jensen gave to
me.  It was one of the best mixed mashed potatoes I've had.  ("Idahoans mashed potatoes mix" is another idea if you ever send me packages).

Thursday we went and taught many less active members and they were all glad for us to come.  We think that if we help with the less actives first we will be able to help the branch become better and the missionary work will continue to improve.  I was able to learn many ways to help the work here improve from Elder Tupou.  He is awesome and I had a great time with him. 

Friday we went back to Lakatoro to exchange again and me and Takaro came back straight to Uripiv. When we got home we talked about our exchanges and I talked about many different things we can do to help the work in our area and Takaro said he was able to find some family member investigators from his island Ambae and he was able to teach them with Elder Jensen and help them know the truth of this church. We know that Heavenly Father prepared this exchange to happen and
everything that happened during the time of it was directed by the lord and now we hope that the missionary work will really improve. That afternoon we were able to teach our recent convert and he has such strong faith in this church.

Saturday many people were gone again for some reason but we talked with members and during the afternoon we had a Young Mens and Young Womens Activity.  We came to the church house and me and Elder Takaro taught the youth about choosing the right and then we went outside and played volleyball for the activity and we had biscuits(cookies) and juice as refreshments.  We had a good time playing with the youth.

Yesterday (Sunday) we went to church and I taught Elder's Quorum about "Proclaiming the Gospel to the World".  They use the "Teachings of the prophet Joseph F. Smith" book to teach Elder's Quorum.  Not many Elders came yesterday but I think the lesson went well.  Then during Sunday School I taught in the Old Testament in 2 Samuel chapter 11 and 12 about how David had unclean thoughts and tried to hide his sins and eventually was responsible for the death of Uriah.  And David lost his exaltation.  It was a really great lesson and many members complimented on it.  After church we walked around to teach but many people were at an important community meeting so we just decided to meet with our Branch Mission Leader.  Then that afternoon us with the Mission Leader all met with the branch president met and we came up with so many ideas to help everything here. The spirit really was there during that meeting. Many of you are probably curious about my work as the District Leader. As 1 of the district leader's here I look after 6 different missionaries and their areas. 4 of them are sisters and 2 are elders so I will be able to go and make exchanges with the elders to see how their work is going.  I also conduct baptism interviews for any investigator that needs and interview to be done in any area in my district.  I haven't done one yet but I really want to.  Many district leaders says that the interviews are one of the greatest blessings as a district leader.  I plan all of our district meetings and come up with ways to help improve our goals as missionaries.  Well that's
about all the work as a district leader.

Well know that all is well and I'm blessed to be here.  I have learned so much from my companion because he is a native and he knows how the people act, think, and their lifestyle here.  I have learned many things from him to help my work here in the future and even though the work has been slow in the past.  I really think that the lord is and will continue to help us here in Uripiv. Know you are loved and that everything is great.  The work is going forward and will continue to go forward.  I pray for you everyday and I can't believe I've been out for almost a year.  Missionary work is too short! I love you.

Love,

Elder Beynon
    

No comments:

Post a Comment